Principal Planning Policy Officer
Braintree Council has a unique opportunity available for a Principal Planning Policy Officer to join the team in Braintree. You will join us on a full time, permanent basis and will receive a competitive salary of £40,089 - £44,610 per annum!
Braintree is an ambitious and dynamic Council and is becoming one of the fastest growing Districts in the East of England with three growing towns, London just 45 minutes away and the district located directly between the international transport centres of Stansted Airport and Harwich and Felixstowe International Ports. We have a deserved track record for delivering and a strong reputation within the business community.
The Principal Planning Policy Officer role
We are looking for a Principal Planning Policy Officer who will take a pivotal role in delivering the Council’s ambitious new Local Plan. This exciting and challenging role will act as the team leader of the pro-active and friendly Planning Policy team. The team is currently delivering the new Local Plan, supporting at least 10 Neighbourhood Plan groups and is a key partner in the North Essex Garden Communities project, a proposal to bring three new towns of up to 43,000 new homes into the area.
Braintree will be an area of significant growth over the coming years. We are looking to embrace this challenge to deliver well-designed new homes, create jobs and improve and develop infrastructure for the benefit of existing and new communities.
The Council now has a draft Local Plan which sets out an ambitious growth agenda for the District, which includes new garden communities based on Garden City principles.
Key Responsibilities of our Principal Planning Policy Officer
- Support local communities to prepare Neighbourhood Plans, including leading on the consultation and examination of such documents
- Prepare and implement Supplementary Planning Documents which are required in the District
- Lead on the production of evidence base documents to support Neighbourhood Plans (as appropriate), -Supplementary Planning Documents and Development Plan Documents
- Consider planning and infrastructure proposals by other authorities and assess the implications of these and prepare briefing notes/ reports to the Council/Local Plan Sub Committee as necessary.
- Prepare and present Development Plan examination, Neighbourhood Plan examination and planning appeal evidence.
- Provide planning policy guidance on planning applications and pre-application requests
- Respond to external requests for correspondence from FOI’s, MP letters and other correspondence from the public and stakeholders
- Complete internal reporting mechanism and KPIs as appropriate
- Respond to search enquiry questions, relating to planning policy and supplementary highway questions
Skills & Experience required by our Principal Planning Policy Officer
- Planning degree or degree in related subject.
- Attained post-graduate planning qualification, recognised by RTPI..
- Planning experience in Local, or Central Government, or private practice.
- Experience of people management desirable
- Knowledge of planning policy issues
- Ability to prepare clear written reports/statements fit for the relevant audience.
- Ability to present reports to public/member meetings.
- An awareness of the national planning policy perspective
- Current UK driving licence and access to a car.
- Good knowledge and understanding of equal opportunities
- IT skills – word, Excel, Outlook, Access, GIS
We offer a fantastic benefits package!
Braintree District Council is a great place to work. We pride ourselves on our creative, innovative and forward thinking approach that is led by our staff. We are committed to having an engaged workforce who understand our strategy and how they can help deliver it.
Closing Date: Wednesday 9th May 2018
To apply for the role of Principle Planning Policy Officer, please click “apply” to submit your CV and a cover letter explaining how you meet the Skills, Knowledge and Experience detailed in the job profile! We look forward to hearing from you!