GROUP MANAGER, GROWTH and PLANNING
GROUP MANAGER, GROWTH and PLANNING. £52,374
The Group Manager for Growth and Planning will support the ambitions and corporate priorities of the council by bringing together the economic development and planning services to develop a fully rounded approach to shaping the future success of the district. This will be done through effective place shaping, the provision of strong support to the business sector and the delivery of high quality planning outcomes to support economic development and housing delivery.
To exceed in this position, you must be able to:
- Think quick on your feet
- Be confident enough to say NO
- Give confidence into the market
Ideally you will also have a background in either Economic development, Town Planning or Regeneration.
About Mendip Council
Glastonbury, we love you!
Most people will associate our area for pulling on their wellies and heading to the world-famous Glastonbury Festival of Performing Arts. However, there is more to this area than meets the eye, explore the beauty of the Mendip Hills & Somerset Levels, Wookey Hole Caves, Kilver Court Gardens, Glastonbury Abbey & Tor through to commuter towns such as Frome (one of the Times “Best Places to Live in Britain”), and the historic city of Wells. Living and working in Mendip is hard to beat!
With a modern public sector ‘hub’ offices based in the historic market town of Shepton Mallet, we offer a flexible working environment for remote (home) working, driving to the vibrant cities of Bath (35 mins) and Bristol (50mins) are on our doorstep. Travelling in by Train? We have the mainline route to London or Plymouth from Castle Cary (15mins) with stops at Exeter (45mins), Reading (1hr) and Taunton (20mins) away.
- One of 6 GMs responsible for the operation of the council; and as such you will have a high level of autonomy to run the organisation. The CEO and D/CEO roles are externally facing.
- CEO has a track record of letting staff create and take on ideas that they come forward with. There is a supportive approach to trying something new and an acceptance that things may not always work.
- The Council is politically stable and has had the same set of councillors running the organisation for about a decade.
- Financially the council has a clear plan in place and is not intending to cut services as part of this. This also means it is not looking at merging with any other council or implementing a radical change.
- The area is diverse, with five very different urban areas that all have distinct personalities and demands, and as such sees lots of variety as regards economic and planning needs.
- Being in the top east corner of the county of Somerset means the District has relationships across a variety of LEPs and this role will see you leading work with colleagues in the Bath, Bristol and Wiltshire as well as Somerset and Devon to bring together coherent approaches to housing delivery and economic development.
- Mendip Council is a relatively small organisation which means that staff have the opportunity to get involved with projects and activities across the organisation and build new skills and interests.
Specific Service Area Responsibilities
Group Managers play a vital role within Mendip’s Corporate Management Team structure. They have a high level of autonomy and are expected to lead and oversee the diverse range of services falling within their remit, thus releasing the capacity of the Deputy Chief Executives to focus on a number of complex internal and external strategic issues.
Key focuses for the Group that the post holder will be responsible for in the next few years:
- Delivery of the Mendip Economic Development Strategy including the formation five town economic partnerships, commercial master planning of Shepton Mallet, regeneration of Saxonvale in Frome and delivery of Boxworks start up hub spaces across key towns
- Adoption of Local Plan Part 2
- Review, reshape and adoption of a new Local Plan Part 1
- Implementation of the structure of the development management service, including the appointments of six new staff, to offer more effective outcomes to applicants.
Application deadline: Midnight Sunday 15th April
How to apply?
For an information pack or an informal and confidential discussion on this role, please call us now on 020 3475 5347. Our dedicated and manned hotline is open between 8AM - 8PM. Please do not hesitate to get in touch, we are looking forward to hearing from you. Email enquiries can be sent to email@example.com
*Lewis Davey is a specialist Town Planning Consultancy and has been appointed to manage the application process for all candidates. With over 20 years of Planning Recruitment experience and our ability to obtain direct answers to your queries means that you can get the information you need to start your application immediately. We are here to help facilitate the process.
More searches like this
- Housing Team Leader Urban Design Full Time jobs in City of Bristol
- Property Team Leader Urban Design Full Time jobs in City of Bristol
- Local Authority Team Leader Urban Design Full Time jobs in City of Bristol
- Other Public sector Team Leader Urban Design Full Time jobs in City of Bristol
- Partnership Team Leader Urban Design Full Time jobs in City of Bristol