Area Development Manager – Development Management
Braintree District Council have an exciting opportunity for an Area Development Manager to join their growing team based in Braintree, Essex.
Job Title: Area Development Manager – Development Management
Location: Braintree, Essex
Salary: £39,324 - £43,758 per annum
Job Type: Full-time – Permanent
Are you an experienced Senior Planner looking for a new opportunity? Then you may be the Area Development Manager we need to lead a team and provide an effective Development Management Service for an area of the District. You will need to be an RTPI member or be eligible for RTPI membership and have extensive experience at Senior Planner level. If you have management experience it would be a bonus.
Braintree will be an area of significant growth over the coming years. We are looking to embrace this challenge to deliver well-designed new homes, create jobs and improve and develop infrastructure for the benefit of existing and new communities.
The Council now has a draft Local Plan which sets out an ambitious growth agenda for the District, which includes new garden communities based on Garden City principles. In order to realise the demands of our draft Local Plan, we are looking to recruit an Area Development Manager.
Area Development Manager - Key Responsibilities:
- To undertake all aspects of the management of a team of planners and technicians
- The provision of advice to Planning committee on all aspects of Development Management, preparing Committee reports and recommendations and assembling agendas.
- To attend Planning Committee meetings and present reports and recommendations
- To co-ordinate all aspects of the Development Management Service within the appropriate area of the District including liaison with Parish Councils, interest groups, other Departments of the Council, the County Council and consultees to ensure high standards of service.
- The implementation of all aspects of the Council’s plans and policies through Development Management and through liaison with the Planning Policy team and other Council Services.
- To assist the Development Manager in the effective distribution of workload, staff deployment, welfare and development, performance monitoring and appraisal.
- To assess planning and related applications, discuss proposals with applicants, undertake site inspections and advise the public on proposals, as appropriate.
- To prepare evidence for appeals and represent the Council at Hearings and Public Inquiries.
Area Development Manager - Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Planning degree or equivalent qualification and eligibility for RTPI Membership.
- Relevant experience in a range of development management work with a planning authority, including appeals, reporting to Committee and other formal and informal meetings.
- Experience of negotiating Section 106 agreements.
- Experience in a range of Development Management (DM) work (within the LPA or private sector), including complex applications, appeals and providing pre application advice.
- Understanding of Planning Law and national planning policies/guidance relating to DM
- Ability to interpret plans and understand related information
- Ability to prepare clear written reports/statements fit for the relevant audience.
- Ability to present reports to public/member meetings.
- An awareness of the national planning policy perspective
- Current UK Driving Licence
Area Development Manager - Why work for Braintree?
Braintree District Council is a great place to work. We pride ourselves on our creative, innovative and forward thinking approach that is led by our staff. We are committed to having an engaged workforce who understand our strategy and how they can help deliver it.
Area Development Manager – Benefits:
- To support staff development we provide excellent Learning and Development Opportunities
- Flexible Working Scheme which allows staff to work flexible hours and build up additional hours to take as leave
- Staff Recognition Schemes, including Employee of the Month Award
- Pleasant Spacious Offices, located close to the town centre with public gardens and parks opposite
- Free Car Parking is available at the office or within the town centre for all employees
- The Council operates a subsidised Lease Car scheme to eligible employees subject to meeting the criteria of the scheme
- You will be entitled to join the Local Government Pension Scheme – further details can be provided on request.
- The Council runs a Childcare Voucher Scheme for staff – further details can be provided on request.
- Staff can apply for a loan to purchase a Bike or Cycling Equipment for travelling to work – further details can be provided on request.
- Braintree District Council offer an extensive Health and Wellbeing Programme that is supported by staff champions.
- The Social Club organises an array of trips and activities for staff throughout the year – they are open to members and non-members.
- There are a number of Staff Discounts that staff can take advantage of including gym membership and through a number of local businesses.
- An employee assistance programme – providing advice, assistance and counselling to employees on a wide range of issues
The closing Date for this Area Development Manager opportunity is Monday 19th March 2018.
To submit your CV and a Covering Letter detailing how you meet the skills, knowledge and experience for this role click ‘Apply’ now to be redirected to our careers page and complete your application online.