Senior Planning Policy Officer
Senior Planning Policy Officer
South Oxfordshire District Council are a forward thinking local authority, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who is able to communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme. They have modern open plan offices and smart working practices and the technology to support mobile working.
Position: Senior Planning Policy Officer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon (Didcot)
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary: £37,872 - £42,191 per year
Benefits: A basic 23 days annual leave per annum, rising to 28 days after five years. You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year. Flexible working and annualised hours; pension scheme; childcare voucher scheme; purchase a bike through Cyclescheme; gym membership, free swims, contributory medical schemes, wellbeing appointments, free eye tests for DSE users, after work sports clubs and more; free parking.
About the role:
The Senior Planning Policy Officer will help deliver the work of the South Oxfordshire policy team. The immediate focus will be to play a part in preparing for the submission and subsequent examination of the Local Plan that accommodates significant housing growth and supporting neighbourhood plan groups to prepare the numerous Neighbourhood Development Plans they have in preparation.
- Oversee, project manage and assist in the production of documents making up the local plan
- Carry out research into a variety of topics as part of the work on the preparation of the local plan and other policy documents
- Write briefs, employ consultants and manage contracts for specialist work and projects
- Attend project meetings with internal and external stakeholders (including evening meetings when requested)
- Prepare draft sections of the local plan and supplementary planning documents and papers and reports on them and other planning policy issues, including consultation documents for officers and Members
- Carry out consultations on the local plan and other planning policy documents including attendance at exhibitions and meetings
- Prepare and present evidence supporting the Council’s case at the Examination
- Provide advice on and assistance to town and parish councils preparing or wishing to prepare Neighbourhood Development Plans
- Provide professional advice and training on planning policy and development matters to the public, Members and other professionals
- Assist in the supervision of the work of junior planning or technical officers
- Assist in other aspects of the team’s work including input into county and other cross-authority planning arrangements, management of the Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, nature conservation and transportation matters
- Support development management colleagues in interpreting policy for planning applications
- Assist in monitoring planning policies
- Degree or Diploma in Town Planning, or a related discipline, or equivalent level of experience
- Full / licentiate membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute
- Significant experience of working in a planning office including experience of planning policy work
- Good IT experience in Windows environment and good keyboard skills
- Experience of working within a customer focused environment dealing with the public
- Good oral skills and experience in giving clear, succinct and well-argued presentations - formally and informally
- Confident working with maps and plans
- Ability to interpret policies and law
- Excellent knowledge of Planning Legislation and Planning Policy
- Able to project manage work and other team members input into it
If you have the following experience – it’s a bonus:
- Additional education in a related discipline
- Experience of supporting a local plan through examination
- Experience of coaching / mentoring or managing staff
- Hold a full and current driving licence and daily have the use of a car insured for business purposes
You may have experience of the following: Senior Planning Policy Officer, Town Planning Officer, Urban Planning Officer, Development Management Officer, Planning Officer, Planning Policy Officer, Planning Consultant, Town Planning, Urban Regeneration etc.
This vacancy is being advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment, the UK’s leading Online Recruitment Agency. The services advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment are those of an employment agency. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, or belief, and we confirm that we will gladly accept all applications.