Looking to make the move from Senior Planner to Planning Manager?
Public Power Solutions are an innovative and forward thinking organisation with a passion for renewable energy and all things green! We specialise in helping Public Sector organisations to make the most of their assets ensuring that they, the local community and the environment benefit.
We are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic Planning Manager with 5+ years experience of submitting planning applications to join our green mission, if this is you, please read on!
The role will be responsible for identifying and delivering all planning activities for the company’s renewable energy projects which may include, but not limited to, solar, storage, heat networks and waste to energy solutions. This will include completion of site feasibility works, managing all planning requirements for live projects including planning applications, consenting, public consultation, liaising with clients and regulatory bodies and advising the company on planning issues and requirements.
- To undertake early site feasibility assessments of potential projects from a planning perspective to input into the Business Development Pipeline.
- To undertake detailed site assessments to establish renewable development potential to include site inspections, detailed examination of planning histories, policy analysis and interpretation and consideration of material considerations.
- To undertake pre-application discussions with LPAs, and where relevant manage pre- application assessments.
- To manage the timely submission of planning applications and supporting statements.
- To manage all planning requirements for live renewable energy projects.
- To manage all consenting requirements.
- Where appropriate, to co-ordinate the preparation and submission of Environmental Impact Assessments to support planning applications, including managing specialist consultancy input into the environmental statement.
- To manage all aspects of consultation including early consultation with the public and Councillors, coordinating and attending public consultation meetings about planning issues.
- To undertake a wider review of planning in relation to renewable energy across the UK to help inform the business development strategy and target areas for development.
- To work across both Power and Waste on key projects which require a planning input.
- To provide advice and guidance to the company in relation to planning.
- To work with the procurement manager to appoint any required planning specialisms required for specific projects.
Knowledge and Experience (Minimum):
- 5+ years experience in a senior planning role
- Membership (or eligibility) for the Royal Town Planning Institute.
- Relevant undergraduate and post graduate qualifications.
- Experience of managing the planning process for renewable energy projects.
- Keen to progress and be involved in new and innovative projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to negotiate with and influence senior stakeholders from a wide range of organisations, disciplines and bodies.
- The ability to engage positively with local communities.
- A commercially focused approach and understanding of company objectives.
- Excellent project management and research skills.
- The ability to work on own initiative, and across the Power Solutions team and wider company.
- Ability to work on a number of different problems at once.
- Recommendations on potential development sites.
- Recommendations on planning strategies for live projects
- Ad hoc advice on town planning issues
Creativity and Innovation:
- Flexibility to meet the varying demands of the role
- Works autonomously in a pressured environment
- Ability to adapt style and tone of communication to meet the needs of each stakeholder
- Strong organisational skills
- Ability to foster partnerships, work collaboratively across boundaries and achieve performance and results through others
- Influencing, negotiation and persuasion skills – ability to recommend pragmatic solutions
- Ability to lead and manage a team to deliver desired outputs
- Scoping and planning of projects
- Development of project management processes and procedures
Emotional Demands of the job:
- Working to very tight timescales
- Managing a wide range of stakeholder expectations
- Influencing stakeholders to get to desired outcome
- Willingness to be flexible with hours of work to meet project outputs
- Must meet desired outcomes in-line with funding requirements
Contacts and Relationships:
- Internal Public Power Solutions and Swindon Borough Council staff
- Private sector / public sector
- Other engineering professionals – communicate with a wide range of professionals
- External clients
- External professional bodies
- External companies in client capacity, partnering and service delivery
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships at all levels, including during difficult or challenging circumstances
- Strong teamwork: ability to work closely with colleagues to ensure the provision of a seamless service, jointly planning and sharing workload and supporting other team members to ensure the project outputs are met
- Presenting regular reporting, strategic, progress and programme meetings, data collection, presenting information and project specific work to range of stakeholders