Principal Development Management Planner
I am currently working with a Bedfordshire based Local Planning Authority, who are looking to bring on a Principal Planning Officer to their Development Management team for an initial 6-month period, though this is highly likely to be extended.
The main purpose of the role is to act as a planning specialist, providing definitive professional advice for the Council, creating and applying best practice and delivering successful planning outcomes across the full range of planning disciplines with the Planning Division, those disciplines being Development Management, Development Planning and Minerals & Waste Planning. Further duties are outlined below:
- Taking responsibility for resolving highly complex strategic planning projects, planning applications and development consent orders, managing projects from conception to conclusion, including the supervision of planning and other staff in project teams.
- Leading the preparation of evidence and act for the Council as the expert planning witness in planning appeals including public inquiries, hearings, public examinations and high court proceedings.
- Leading and concluding negotiations on complex legal agreements which ensure the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with planning law, national and local planning policy, balance stakeholder and local community requirements and apply best practice.
- Judging competing priorities, lead negotiations with and give definitive advice to all stakeholders in the planning process including, developers, professional agents, councillors, parish/town councils, service providers, other council officers, community organisations and members of the public on planning issues associated with highly complex development projects and proposals.
- Preparing reports and delivering presentations to councillors, senior officers, stakeholders and public meetings on planning issues associated with highly complex development projects and proposals.
- Developing, managing and maintaining excellent working relationships with developers, professional agents, councillors, parish/town councils, service providers, other council officers, community organisations and members of the public and apply high levels of customer care practice towards maintaining those relationships.
Please note this is not an exhaustive list of your responsibilities, should you be successful in securing the role.
It is essential that you have a minimum of 5 years' worth of recent experience of dealing with major residential (100+ dwellings) and commercial developments within a Local Planning Authority, with a proven capability of handling a large case load of complex planning applications with minimal supervision. Membership to the RTPI is favourable, but not required.
If you would like to be considered for this role, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me and I can get the ball rolling in terms of interview. Flexible working and rate of pay will be determined once through the interview stage, though it has been indicated to me that the rate will be north of £65p/h.
Apply for Principal Development Management Planner
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly