City Centre Strategic Project Manager
City Centre Strategic Project Manager
Ref no: 1838
Salary: £53,034 - £58,433 p.a.
37 hours per week
What is the role?
This role will lead the enabling and coordination of the City Centre Regeneration Project including the Northern Quarter which will enhance and develop the city further.
The post holder will manage these complex city centre schemes. The projects are broad and complex, with many stakeholders, including the public and local communities, national and local businesses, elected Members and internal and external stakeholders.
The post holder will also be expected to manage other projects, as necessary and appropriate.
The post holder will be a qualified and experienced individual who will work closely with all stakeholders – internal and external - to ensure that the highest standard of project delivery is achieved, on time and within budget.
Daily duties will include liaison with relevant officers, consultants, agencies and organisations on a wide range of issues, including; funding, land ownership, procurement, legal agreements and contracts, to galvanise their efforts to ensure that the projects progress to programme.
Main responsibilities of this post include:
- Project management of a large scale complex strategic development.
- Be accountable for the efficient coordination, control and reporting of a complex range of project management activities through the establishment of cohesive and high functioning integrated project teams.
- Working closely with relevant technical teams to ensure the projects are delivered to a high standard.
- Provide leadership for the projects and liaise with all relevant departments, contractors and stakeholders.
- Maintaining all project documentation, such as business plans, risk logs, project plans and reports and monitoring progress against identified aims and objectives.
- Producing regular reports and/or presentations on project development for a wide variety of audiences, including government departments, senior managers, elected members and the public.
- Producing appropriate progress reports for the relevant hierarchy, e.g. Project Board, elected Members and officers on matters relating to project delivery.
- Working to the Project Management standards, risk-management and quality assurance processes set out as part of Portsmouth City Council’s Project Management Framework.
- Maintaining a clear awareness of the local authority’s duties under equal opportunities legislation, as set out in Portsmouth City Council policies.
- Demonstrating an ability to prioritise and manage customer-led focus, quality standards and cost-effective delivery.
- Contribute to Best Value by working in an effective, efficient and economical way and to suggest and implement improved ways of working wherever possible.
- To understand the need to (and challenges involved) in improving cross service working specifically between the City Development service, AMS, Transport and Environment and Housing Development.
This is not a comprehensive list of all the tasks, which may be required of the post holder. It is illustrative of the general nature and level of responsibility of the work to be undertaken.
Who is the person?
In order to be considered for the role, the post holder will ideally possess:
- Relevant degree/ post graduate qualification.
- Recognised project management qualification such as APMP or equivalent is desirable.
Knowledge and Experience
3. Substantive successful project management experience.
4. Demonstrable ability to manage contracts and the delivery of complex schemes, incorporating partnership working, timeliness and financial control.
5. Extensive experience of managing budgets effectively, ensuring value for money with constrained resources, including financial analysis and interpretation.
6. Demonstrable experience of working in partnership with stakeholders, contractors and agencies within a complex project environment.
7. Demonstrable experience in preparing reports and correspondence for a wide and various audiences, including the ability to research, analyse and incorporate findings.
8. Experience of managing organisational change and working in such a changing environment.
9. Possession of the highest interpersonal/communication skills, including the ability to deal with staff at all levels, with Councillors and with the general public.
10. Ability to think strategically and to be solutions orientated.
11. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, the ability to prioritise a busy and challenging workload, time-manage, and work on own initiative.
12. Demonstrable experience of managing complex schemes.
13. Able to manage self, work under pressure and to deadlines whilst maintaining a positive attitude.
14. Have proven team management experience including strong leadership and management skills.
15. Demonstrate experience of operating at a senior level with confidence and authority and assertiveness.
Skills and Abilities
16. Tenacious, ambitious, positive and energetic
17. Confident, authoritative and assertive
18. Able to respond in a professional manner to demanding customers.
19. An excellent negotiator and communicator, with high level communication skills and the ability to build strong, positive working relationships.
20. Able to manage differing priorities, overcome obstacles and resolve conflicts while maintaining a clear focus on results within constraints of time, quality and budget.
21. Consistent, supportive, proactive and flexible in managing the workload whilst maintaining a positive attitude.
22. Responsible and accountable for the delivery of project outcomes.
23. A leading contributor to team success.
24. Able to lead the project team to achieve required results.
25. Able to motivate and influence the team and others.
26. Committed to high quality customer service at the highest possible level.
27. Committed to continuous learning and professional development of self and team.
28. Committed to the ethos of public service and serving local communities.
29. Innovative, creative and confident in pitching new ideas.
30. A proven, high quality facilitator and deliverer for programme or project boards.
Working Together - committed to team success .You work with others to reach a common goal; sharing information, supporting colleagues and searching out expertise and solutions from relevant partners and/or the communities you serve.
Leadership - strategic and situational leadership
You lead by example through your behaviours and professional approach to work; inspiring your colleagues and driving for positive outcomes for the city:
- To foster innovations and solutions orientated culture.
- Positive, and energetic and take pride in the city's success.
- Consistent, supportive, proactive and flexible in the way you deliver.
- Encourage a communicative culture and for all staff to develop relationships at all levels.
- Being tenacious and resilient in the face of difficulty to secure ambitions for the city.
- Openness is valued and you listen carefully to understand the views of others.
- Tolerate high levels of ambiguity in an increasingly complex environment
- Being prepared to take action now to shape and implement a vision for the future development of services.
- Displays resolve to hold others to account for agreed targets and to be held accountable for delivering a high level of service.
How to apply
For more details and instructions on how to apply please click "APPLY NOW"
Closing 20th January 2014