This job has now expired
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Manager to join our Town Planning and Building Control Partnership based at Breckland Council in Norfolk. You will have a superb opportunity to grow a business supported by a team of around 45 professional and hardworking colleagues. If you have excellent commercial skills, enthusiasm and determination, combined ideally with a background in local authority town planning, and consultancy, then this job will provide you with an opportunity to establish a leading consultancy in the region.
Your local government experience will be put to use enhancing the services we deliver to our core client, Breckland District Council, and your consultancy experience and business acumen will ensure we grow the team to become a regional hub serving public and private sector clients.
To achieve this, you will be a proactive operator at the highest level, both officers and Members, in local government, as well as have a proven professional background in town planning.
The Role and Responsibilities
- To lead a team of 45 people in delivering The Planning and Building Control service to Breckland Council, exceeding our contracted performance targets, and enhancing customer care; this will involve:
- Responsibility for meeting the service’s KPIs;
- Being the lead officer for services we provide to the Council, including building control, development management and planning policy;
- Develop and implement an agenda for Localism, in the context of a district with 113 Town and Parish Councils;
- Representing the Council at external meetings;
- Continuous review of process and procedures to maximise efficiency and deliver best practice;
- Significantly grow the revenue the team generates by securing consultancy commissions; this will involve
- Meeting financial targets for the business
- Taking a lead role on bidding for new work;
- Having responsibility for the delivery of high quality, timely, and cost effective consultancy commissions;
- Developing an ambassadorial role for the company in promoting Partnerships with other Council’s
- To keep up to date with current legislation and policy changes, including CPD requirements;
- Work with Capita Symonds other teams to ensure best practice is shared and opportunities are maximised;
As an experienced Planning professional, you will have:
• Management experience, ideally across more than one team – post-holder will be leading a team of 45 people – with 5 teams of varying size and professional and admin function;
• Ideally, significant public sector experience in a local authority town planning field – extensive experience of dealing with Members;
• Demonstrable networking skills across various public bodies – i.e. delivering projects requiring multi agency agreement;
• Commercial acumen and be able to increase the turnover of a commercial town planning and building control consultancy;
• Financial experience in running a profit and loss account.
If this sounds like you and you are ready to take on a new challenge, click on the 'Apply now' button or call Jon Durbin, Regional Director on 07919 298758 for a confidential discussion.